El Hospital Apollo Chennai
Dr. Ramnarayan R
El Hospital Apollo Chennai
||Areas of Specialization:
- General Neurosurgery: Surgery for the diseases of the brain and spinal cord. This includes
- Surgery for tumours of the brain and spinal cord
- Surgery for disorders of the blood vessels of the brain like aneurysms
- Surgery for all types of strokes including putaminal haematoma,
- Surgery for spinal problems like disc prolapse,
- Neurological problems in children like brain tumours, congenital defects like meningocoel and hydrocephalus
- Functional Neurosurgery is a new subspecialty which is concerned with the treatment of conditions where the function of the brain and spinal cord is affected but the anatomy (structure) may or may not be normal. This includes :
- Surgery for chronic pain
- Intractable cancer pain
- Failed back surgery syndrome
- Severe osteoporortic pain
- Refractory angina pectoris
- Intractable diabetic neuropathy
- Peripheral vascular disease (PVD) pain
- Complex regional pain syndromes (CRPS I & II)
- Brachial plexus injury pain
- Trigeminal neuropathy
- Spasticity due to many causes like cerebral palsy, spinal cord injury, multiple sclerosis, brain hypoxic injury, severe head injury, and metabolic diseases.
- Deep brain stimulation surgery for movement disorders
- Parkinson's disease
- Dystonia especially cervical dystonia
- Essential tremor
- Deep brain stimulation for a few psychiatric conditions
- Intractable obsessive compulsive neurosis
- Intractable depression
- Surgery for intractable epilepsy
- Ablative surgery like temporal lobectomy
- Vagal nerve stimulation for epilepsy
- Deep Brain S
||M.B.B.S: Medical College, Trivandrum, University of Kerala, India
M.Ch (Neurosurg), National Institute of Mental Health and NeuroSciences (NIMHANS). Bangalore, India
||* Clinical attachment from Singapore General hospital.
* Functional Neurosurgery Fellowship from the Walton Centre for Neurology and Neurosurgery, Liverpool, United Kingdom.
* Life Member of the Neurological Society of India (NSI).
* International member of the American Association of Neurological Surgeons (AANS).
* Member of the Indian Medical Association, Kerala Chapter, India.
* Life Member in Neurological Society of India (Kerala Chapter).
* Member of the Indian Medical Association, Tamilnadu Chapter, India.
* Visited many international neurosurgical centres like the National University of Health, Singapore, University of Pittsburgh, University of California, San Francisco, University of Geneva, Malaya University etc. He also has a good number of international publications some of which are widely quoted and many national and international presentations.